Bassmaster Elite Series pro, Seth Feider, shows you how to set up the basic drop shot rig. It’s a finesse presentation that catches all types of fish across the country during any time of year. Braided line to a Fluorocarbon leader on a spinning rod/reel setup is the most common way to fish it. Here are the steps you need to follow when setting up the drop shot rig…
- Tie on your preferred hook to the fluoro line (two great knots to use are the Shark Knot or Palomar Knot). Make sure to leave a longer tag at the end.
- Run the tag end from the top of the hook back down through the eye and pull it out towards the bottom.
- Select the length you want for the leader. A great starting point is 18”.
- Tie an overhand knot at the end of the leader and clip the weight to it, making sure it’s tight up to the knot.
- Add your favorite soft plastic. Common baits are stick baits, finesse worms, or small swimbaits. Popular rigging methods are wacky, nose hooking, or texas rigging the bait on the hook.
Main Line: 15LB Sufix 832 Braid
Leader Line: 8LB Sufix Advance Fluoro
Hook: VMC Finesse Neko Hook
Bait Option 1: Biospawn ExoStick
Bait Option 2: Zoom Finesse Worm